Saturday, November 21, 2015

Avatar A.M.P. Suit Reference Pictures.

Going through some old reference pictures today and found some close up shots of a full-sized  A.M.P. suit from the James Cameron movie Avatar. They're great reference for painting models and miniatures by showing weathering effects on a full sized piece.

I took these at San Diego Comic Con about six years ago before Avatar had come out and I knew next to nothing about the movie. So unfortunately I didn't take nearly as many pictures as I should have. Plus there was a Japanese guy fighting me for picture-taking position. Oh well, I can't blame him. :)

I've grown more impressed with the design of these over the years due to becoming more familiar with industrial machinery and heavy equipment. Like Kunio Okawara's designs for the AT Votoms Scopedog, these look like a product that could be manufactured in actual factories as opposed to grandiose mechanical fantasies like Mazinger or Voltron.








Here you can see the head of my Nihonjin rival.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for that Roebeast,

    I couldn't agree with you more about the aesthetic. I much prefer the functional design over the fancy pants look of a lot of the Japanese Mechs.

    Thanks for fighting for the shots too :D

    ReplyDelete