Monday, June 4, 2018

Building a Cthulhu Shrine

I've been trying to finish up some of those projects that seem to have been started years ago but never completed. With that goal in mind, I've finally finished this quick project, a Shrine to Cthulhu.

The base was included with the Rackham Confrontation Starter Set and the Cthulhu statue is from Fantasy Flight's "Bag of Cthulhu". The small skulls are from Dragon Forge Design and the stone skulls are cast from a Hirst Arts mold, #70

These can still be found pretty cheaply.
These cannot be found pretty cheaply.

The main pillar is made from PVC pipe and acrylic circles for the caps.

This was really just a matter of gluing everything together, adding some Sculptamold for ground, painting and flocking everything.

Faux marble painting on the pillar and a black, green and gold paintjob on the statue.

"Oh Great Cthulhu, please tell me where all of this blood is coming from!"

You're about to find out Smedley...
Grass tufts by Shadow's Edge Miniatures.
If you want to see the whole thing spin around a lot check out my YouTube Channel. Like, Subscribe, tell your mom about it, whatever.

Monday, April 9, 2018

Star Frontiers Adventure Squares.

My love of the 1982 TSR game Star Frontiers has made me a bit of an obsessive, at least when it comes to the miniatures. Although I've had to slog through a good amount of lead rot, I've managed to collect nearly all of the SF monsters and player characters. I recently scored a lot of blister packs that included the Star Frontiers Adventure Squares on the back of each. Now while these would have been really cool when I was twelve, forty eight year old me demands a bit more pizzazz. So I scanned all six, I think the whole collection, and colored them in Photoshop.

We're having an adventure... JUST LIKE THE GOONIES!

I think that these were originally created by pasting up photocopies or the like and so many of the elements are used several times. I used the same system but did not have time to completely polish each final image so there might be some oddities and inconsistencies.

Another issue was the the squares were actually 7/8" and not perfectly square so they won't always match up. I think they were meant to be rooms and not necessarily tiled together so this would not have been a huge issue. And trying to put them together leads to a lot of awkward floorplans with portals going into the back of computer banks etc. The versions posted here are exactly 4"x3" and I've included a blank image of the floor-tiles so you can use them as connecting corridors.

Let me know if you know of more than the six designs shown here and if you plan on using these in your own Star Frontiers games.

Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Dagon's Bones Lives!

My new Kickstarter with Utility Games has been launched!

In the seaside pubs of Innsmouth they play a game of chance called Dagon's Bones. It's a dice game that requires luck, daring and maybe a small favor from the Elder Gods.

Will you rob other players, steal from Cthulhu himself, or be granted, however fleetingly, Dagon’s blessings?

Roll the Bones...

And PRAY...

Monday, March 19, 2018

New Kickstarter Soon! Dagon's Bones Lovecraftian Dice Game

Here's the video for my new dice game, soon to be on Kickstarter.

Sunday, February 4, 2018

New Horror Fiction- Red Bethel

Something a bit different from me, a short-long-epic story about the small Indiana town of Red Bethel. I as inspired to write this after taking a really kick-ass picture of a fog shrouded church at sunset.

That story is free to read but if you enjoy it, please consider donating something to my Patreon.

Either way if you enjoy it, please let me know!

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Trash Bashing a Micro-scale Power Facility

I just finished a quick build and paint job on a plastic blister from a pack of air fresheners that I procured from work. I'm trying to cull a good portion of the plastic bits that I've collected and part of that is to actually make some stuff with it!

Nothing complicated here, MDF base, various greeblies for details, ink-jet decals. I'm really happy with the way the solid black decals look but anything with color just gets washed out by the color beneath it. But it beats trying to hand paint them.

To get the sandy texture I first cover the MDF with wood glue and then sprinkle it with very fine sand. Once this is completely dry I cover the whole surface with regular thin super-glue. This not only bonds and seals it nicely but makes the texture less pronounced and more "natural".

A penta-dynamo fusion plant defended by two Tomahawk MBR-04-Mk VI destroids.

I rushed the drybrushing which caused the big splotches on the sides. Too overeager I guess.
Model kit sprue, LEGO knock-offs, 15mm tank parts, 1:1800 scale Eagle transporters, plasticard, 30mm sci-fi German gasmask canisters...

The blister from a five pack of Air Wick Scented Oils that I found at work.