Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Trash Bashing a Micro-scale Power Facility

I just finished a quick build and paint job on a plastic blister from a pack of air fresheners that I procured from work. I'm trying to cull a good portion of the plastic bits that I've collected and part of that is to actually make some stuff with it!

Nothing complicated here, MDF base, various greeblies for details, ink-jet decals. I'm really happy with the way the solid black decals look but anything with color just gets washed out by the color beneath it. But it beats trying to hand paint them.

To get the sandy texture I first cover the MDF with wood glue and then sprinkle it with very fine sand. Once this is completely dry I cover the whole surface with regular thin super-glue. This not only bonds and seals it nicely but makes the texture less pronounced and more "natural".

A penta-dynamo fusion plant defended by two Tomahawk MBR-04-Mk VI destroids.

I rushed the drybrushing which caused the big splotches on the sides. Too overeager I guess.
Model kit sprue, LEGO knock-offs, 15mm tank parts, 1:1800 scale Eagle transporters, plasticard, 30mm sci-fi German gasmask canisters...

The blister from a five pack of Air Wick Scented Oils that I found at work. 

11 comments:

  1. That's really nice. The numbers really help sell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Simple black designs are the only thing that seem to work with inkjet decals.

      Delete
  2. Now that is an excellent piece! Especially as you made it from nothing. ;) Well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've got so much of this stuff stashed away so it's nice to use some of it up.

      Delete
    2. I’ve been repurposing boxes and packaging I had stashed up for my aircraft carrier. Packing peanuts believe it or not are have been the amazing use so far on the build.

      Delete
  3. Looks great Brian! And as always, great to have the bits breakdown too :)

    I can empathise with the clutter and the need to do something with our horde of bits. I just chucked out five big garbage bags of stuff that I'd collected over the years. And I still have heaps to work with!

    Cheers mate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man! We collect this stuff to gives ourselves possibility. Unread books, unpainted minis, unbuilt model kits... They're all a reminder that we have a future to look forward to.

      Delete
  4. Looks great. Do you fill the plastic to prevent it from flexing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, this stuff was pretty solid. I'm sure it would give if someone stepped on it but overall I think it'll be fine. It's made of a very thick, theft-proof plastic.

      Delete