Monday, September 2, 2013

Painting a Reaper Bones C'thulhu.

While I'm waiting to get the last of the Zombie Plague minis wrapped up I decided to get my painting chops back by tackling a Reaper Bones C'thlhu mini. I traded this with a buddy for the soon to arrive Riddick figure from Sedition Wars so I made out like a bandit. Now I just need to get Ol' Squid Head painted up.

First off I did some reading about how to paint Bones and as is often the case I got several different opinions about how best to handle it. Some said no priming was necessary, some said to prime with certain plastic friendly spray-paints, some said to only prime with acrylics etc. I decided to go with brush priming with acrylics since too many times aerosol enamels will make this type of vinyl tacky and never completely dry. I've had this problem while trying to repaint toys and wanted to avoid it at all costs, even if it meant brush priming. I washed to pieces thoroughly with Lestoil and let them dry overnight.

I hate brush priming. Even with two coats I kept getting small divots where the paint didn't want to adhere. But I finally got a solid base of black down and let this completely dry.

I decided to not be overly precious about how I painted Mr. C'thulhu and instead went with what seemed right at the time. I let myself quit worrying and just enjoyed myself. I think the paint job turned out better because I wasn't being overly fussy.

Painting was a few layers of drybrushing followed by copious layers of Citadel Washes. I used a 1" hog bristle brush to create mottled skin coloration, especially on the head and 
wings.

Black primer with a damp-brush of Scorched Brown.
Damp-brush of Orkhide Shade.
Dry-brush with Orkhide Shade lightened with Khaki and then White.
Washes of Thraka Green, Agrax Earthshade, Reikland Fleshshade, and Leviathan Purple. On the flat smooth areas this was stippled with a bristle brush to create a subtle patterning.
Otherwise I didn't highlight things to too many levels, maybe three maximum.
I tended to drybrush far too much and then knock it back with washes/glazes. This creates a depth that I like. I'm doing something like a dip method but just trying to control it more. It's fast, fun, and effective. 

Right out of the box.


All ready for color.


The base.
First few layers of washes.

Painting the head was easier with it separate.
More layers of washes and some detailing.
Final.



Comparison with Horror Clix Great Cthulhu, Reaper Eldritch God,  and Little Cthulhu.


2 comments:

  1. Thats looking spectacular so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one well done Cthulhu, sir.

    He may be a little smaller than the Heroclix model, but I'd say his paintjob is at least 50% better!

    ReplyDelete